Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Medical Industry: The 3rd Leading Cause of Death in America.



I recently over heard a conversation about some ones grandpaw dying in the hospital due to complications with the medicine he was being given. I kinda slid in to the conversation as, I do, and asked if it was an allergic reaction, or an overdose...it was neither. Apparently it was just to much of the bad stuff that's in our meds passed through the old mans liver and he was unable to process it all out.

So I wondered how many people actually died in hospitals every year. What I found out astonished me. According to The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Vol 284, the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States is...wait for it, wait for it....ARE HOSPITALS!!! Who knew? I didn't. So the 3rd major causes of death in America are medical related, (this does not include overdoses) and stands at 225,000 deaths a year.
That's ranks med. deaths only behind Heart Disease at 616,067 DPR, and cancer at 562,875 DPR. This also ranks it above Chronic lower respiratory diseases at 127,924 DPR, and Accidents (unintentional injuries) at 123,706.

I mean can you believe this? So the liberals want to get all this free health care for every one, which by the way IS NOT a constitutional right, and the conservatives want to go a different way. Which is all fine. But all this is asking "how do we pay for health care"? It's a bit short sighted and putting the "forest before the trees," if you ask me. The problem is most people don't take enough preventative measures in their personal lives to just stay healthy and out of the hospitals altogether. It is possible people.

So in addition to finding out how to make basic healthcare affordable to all, I think that it's obvious, and blindingly so, that we need a total overhaul of the way hospitals and doctors work in general. These days
people are just a number in a bed when they are forced to check in to a hospital. Not all doctors view their patients in this way so don't get me wrong. In fact I recently had to spend the night in the hospital a few months back, because of a nasty dog bite that got infected and my docs were great guys. At least they acted like they cared.

So no, I am not saying that every doc out there are with out hearts. But any one of them that got into the business of medicine because they thought it would be a good way to make a lot of money and not because they wanted to help people and be able to make a decent enough living doing it, well I believe that you are a bad doctor and you should find a different profession. Because it's the docs like you that are the scourge of the medical industry. YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

So to end this, I believe folks, that you should get angry that the 3rd leading cause of death in america, ARE THE PLACES WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO HEAL US AND MAKE US BETTER!

So yeah. I just thought I would put that out there. It surprised me. Figured it would surprise you as well.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment